1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle 1302 Complete Restoration - $14,000
1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle
fuel: gas title status: clean transmission: manual
QR Code Link to This Post
I’m selling my completely restored Bug. I bought it from an older gentleman near Amarillo in November of 2014. It had some front collision damage that had been repaired, otherwise it was a complete and good running driver. I disassembled the entire car and took it to Caney Creek Collision (New Caney, TX) for body and paint work, Eubanks brothers up there do exceptional VW work. The body damage was too costly to repair so I bought a new donor body and used it with the original doors, fenders and hood/lid. Car is a snappy driver. Every nut and bolt has been touched, was aiming for a de-contented style with this build, nothing but essentials. If I were to keep going, I want fog lights and mud flaps! A cross of a German Look Bug and a rally car! It was an awesome project, I think I enjoy working on them more than I do driving them. Will include a spare engine and all my VW specific tools.
Will entertain trades for UTV’s, guns, jeeps, RV’s. Considering all reasonable offers, cash only and I’m not shipping.
Data on the vehicle as follows:
• Complete disassembly sandblast, primer and paint
• Shaved front fenders, blinkers included in Mexican style front bumper (new)
• Any dings, holes, spots were repaired the right way
• Interior paint match
• Dash shaved to replicate non-padded dash
• Porsche 914 gauges grafted into dash
• New fender seals, new body/pan seal, new body/pan hardware, all new glass rubber/felt, new glass rubber, new chrome trim and clips,
• A couple of use chips but nothing egregious.
• Passenger window crank/felts need some adjustment
• Car completely rewired with American Autowire kit. Great kit
• Fuse panel relocated to beneath rear seat
• All new VW switches used/retained and mounted to center “switch panel” located in dash
• Gauges from Porsche 914, including Tachometer. Working functions include: lights, hi-beams, brake pressure warning light, generator warning light, tach, speed, odometer, left signal, right signal, hazard signal, oil pressure warning and oil temp warning sensor
• Battery cutoff switch added beneath rear seat, reach of driver
• All gauge functions work with 2 exceptions, running light indicator and low fuel indicator not hooked up. These were Porsche function not applicable to VW’s.
• Speedo has a bounce to it. Not a bother to me. No trip meter.
• Fuel gauge is not calibrated to fuel sender. ¼ tank is empty, 7/8 tank is full.
• Trans removed and cleaned of all grime, replaced gear oil and all rubber mounts.
• Shifter rod bushing replaced.
• Shifter rod adapter to trans upgraded with urethane part.
• Engine is 1600cc, long block was not disassembled, valves were gapped and tightened to spec.
• Top end of engine mostly new. Tins all replaced with OEM and repainted, every piece included (Hoover bit is in there). Thermostat and linkage included and all working.
• Carbs are Weber 34 ICT’s w/ crossbar linkage (Redline manuf, bought from Aircooled.net)
• Lightened Flywheel and needle bearing installed
• Distributor is Petronix Flamethrower centrifugal and vacuum advance with electric “points”
• New OEM coil
• All tin hardware also new
• New oil fill neck
• New spark plugs, new spark plug wires
• New oil cooler and seals
• New belt
• New engine compartment seals
• Engine oil temp sensor installed and wired to gauge
• Engine pressure sensor installed and wired to gauge
• No carb heat system
• Ceramic coated J-pipes installed with industrial tins
• Ceramic coated hot dog glass pack muffler with dual tips in factory location
• CB Oil Filter Pump assembly added with screw on filter
• New fuel pump
• None, Trans is perfect shape.
• Needs more power! I estimate this is 55hp setup.
• BMW E30 comfort seats installed. Brackets welded to stock rails
• New tar boards installed
• New Topline Bigfoot gas pedal
• New clutch cable
• Door cards custom made of ABS plastic
• Seats recovered in combo vinyl and black vinyl
• Window cranks and door handles new
• Interior light works at switch
• Glove Box replaced with fixed panel, great place for additional switches
• Hood latch pull in switch panel
• Sound/heat deadening material in doors, back panels and roof
• Fire extinguisher and mount added
• Dash shaved and painted, no rubber pad, no heat holes, looks great.
• Steering wheel restored, new horn ring, horn button and works great…beep beep.
• Have not installed gas door pull, have the part.
• Seat upholstery 8/10
• No headliner installed, car setup for modified headliner, not the ridiculous OEM version
• No radio, get a Bluetooth box
• No rear window defrost
• One rear popout window has the wrong handle, still works fine
• New disk brakes front and rear.
• New SS brake lines installed
• SS hoses to calipers with banjo nuts
• Parking brake works great
• New master cylinder
• All new bearings
• New suspension bushings throughout, urethane in most places, rubber better in some
• New upgraded sway bars front and rear
• Rear axles, CV joints, seals, grease cups, retainers all new or restored.
• New KYB rear shocks
• New Topline front adjust a struts and springs
• New Topline front steering links and rod ends
• New Topline bronze bushing on steering linkage….no death wobble in this car
• Steering box restored
• Most all suspension parts came from Topline Partys, the best out there for Super Beetles
• Upgraded suspension hardware throughout
• Rebuilt front strut top hats
• Upgraded front strut brace
• Wheels blasted and powder coated a BMW silver, new cooper tires
• Car is lowered one click in rear and a couple inches in front, great stance with this tire combo
• None, rides on rails, needs more power!
I have lots of parts willing to include with the sale. Best of which is a spare motor that was given to me by a friend. Not sure condition…guessing it is 75% complete. Many parts for routine maintenance, many just nice parts I didn’t want to throw away.
Have several VW specific tools I will include. Torque doubler, carb balancer, oil neck nut removal tool, oil pump remover, push rod measure tool, etc.
Have most receipts from entire build I will include.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers